Due to the nature of Filecoin and Ethereum having different address types in the Filecoin network, the process for transferring FIL between addresses can be a bit nuanced.
After FVM launched, a new Ethereum-compatible address type (
f410address) was introduced to the Filecoin network. This new
f410address can be converted into Ethereum-style addresses starting with
0xso that it can be used in any Ethereum-compatible toolings or dApps. Filecoin addresses start with
f, so we will use the
faddress in this tutorial. And Ethereum-style addresses start with
0x, so we will use the
0xaddress in this tutorial.
There are four paths for transferring FIL tokens across the Filecoin network, depending on which address type you are transferring from and to.
ASSETS ON THE FILECOIN NETWORK ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON ANY OTHER NETWORK Remember that Filecoin is fully compatible with Ethereum tools, like wallets. But that doesn’t mean you’re using the Ethereum network. These instructions transfer assets only within the Filecoin network. Learn how to configure your Ethereum wallet on the Filecoin network.
If you want to transfer FIL tokens from one
f4address to another
f4address using their corresponding
0xaddresses, you need to understand how to convert between
Apart from that, you just need to follow the standard process using your preferred Ethereum-compatible wallet, like MetaMask, MethWallet, etc. For instance, MetaMask has a simple guide for how to send Ethereum from one account to another.
Most wallets and exchanges currently support Filecoin
f3addresses, and many of them already fully support
0xaddresses, including OKX, Kraken, Btcturk, etc. But there are some exchanges that are still implementing the support for
f4addresses. If your preferred wallets and exchanges don’t let you directly transfer FIL to an
0xaddress, We recommend filing a support issue with the exchange to help accelerate the support of
The process for sending FIL from a Filecoin
faddress to an Ethereum-style
0xaddress depends on the wallet or exchange you use.
Currently, Ledger Live has not supported
f4addresses yet, so you cannot directly use it to send FIL tokens to a
f4address. However, you can connect your Ledger device to the Glif.io wallet and transfer FIL from a Filecoin
f1/f3address to an Ethereum-style
0xaddress. This method is more secure than the Hot wallet method detailed below since your private keys never leave your Ledger device.
- 1.Ensure your Ledger device is connected to your computer, then log in to the Ledger Live dashboard and update your Ledger device’s Filecoin app to version
- 4.Select Ledger (Filecoin) and unlock your Ledger device, selecting the Filecoin application.
- 5.Once connected, you should see the details of your Filecoin account stored on your Ledger. Click Send FIL.
- 6.Enter the
0xaddress you wish to send to. Glif will automatically convert the
0xaddress into an
- 7.Enter the amount of FIL you want to send. Click Send.
- 8.Verify the information is correct and accept the transaction on your hardware device.
- 9.The transferred FIL will show up at the Eth-style
0xaddress once this transaction is finalized on-chain, which will take 60 - 90 seconds.
- 10.You can check the status of this transfer by clicking the transaction ID link.
Transaction Detail on Filfox
A hot wallet is a cryptocurrency wallet that is always connected to the internet. They allow you to store, send, and receive tokens. Because hot wallets are always connected to the internet, they tend to be somewhat more vulnerable to hacks and theft than cold storage methods. However, they are generally easier to use than cold wallets and do not require any specific hardware like a Ledger device.
If you want to transfer your FIL tokens from the
0xaddress, but the wallet or exchange you are using does not support the
0xstyle addresses. Then, you can create a burner wallet using Glif, transfer FIL to the burner wallet, and then transfer FIL from the burner wallet to the
0xaddress on MetaMask.
Create burner wallet
- 2.Click Create Seed Phase. Write down your seed phrase somewhere safe. You can also copy or download the seed phrase. You will need it later.
- 3.Click I’ve recorded my seed phrase. Using your seed phrase, enter the missing words in the blank text fields.
- 4.Click Next, and then Connect. The burner wallet is created
- 5.In the upper left corner of your wallet dashboard, click on the double squares icon next to your address to copy it. Record this address. You will need it later.
Copy the wallet address
- 6.From your main wallet account or exchange, transfer your FIL token to this address.
- 7.Connect to MetaMask and copy your
- 8.Once the funds appear in the burner wallet, click on Send FIL.
- 9.Enter the necessary information into the text fields:
- In the Recipient field, enter your
0xstyle address. GLIF automatically converts it to an
- In the Amount field, enter the amount of FIL to send. Make sure you have enough FIL to cover the GAS cost.
Fill out send detail
- 10.Click Send. The FIL will arrive in your MetaMask wallet shortly.
If you are transferring FIL from any exchange to your
0xaddress on MetaMask, make sure the exchange supports withdrawing FIL to the
f410address. If not, you will need extra steps to withdraw FIL to your
0xaddress. Let’s take Coinbase as an example; you can follow this Guide: How to transfer FIL from Coinbase to a Metamask Wallet (0x).
There are no special steps or requirements for sending Filecoin from one Filecoin-style address to another on the Filecoin network.