# Powergate and Its Interactions with Lotus and go-ipfs
- go-ipfs (opens new window) is a Go implementation of the IPFS protocol (opens new window).
- Lotus (opens new window) is a Go implementation of the Filecoin protocol.
There are several protocol implementations for Filecoin, including implementations in other languages such as Rust (forest (opens new window) implementation) and C++ (fuhon (opens new window) implementation). The core Lotus node runs the blockchain system, makes storage and retrieval deals, performs data transfers, supports block producer logic, and syncs and validates the chain. Lotus also provides a separate process for storage mining. Filecoin storage miners contribute to the network by producing sector commitments and Proofs-of-Spacetime to prove they have been correctly storing storage client data. You can read more about the interactions between storage miners and storage clients.
Powergate (opens new window) is a collection of libraries, modules, and configurations that can be used independently, and composed together to integrate Filecoin into your application or storage system. While developers can use the Lotus implementation, using Powergate makes it much easier and faster to develop applications on Filecoin.
Each Powergate instance can manage multiple users. Each user has access to a Filecoin File System (FFS). Each user’s data is safe in your FFS and no one can access the user’s data without their permission.
As storing files on Filecoin network (via FFS) involves paying the storing party in FIL (filecoin currency), every user needs a wallet to safely store the FILs. Each user can create multiple wallets within their FFS.
The diagram below illustrates how Powergate manages different FFS & wallets.
Benefits of using the Powergate include (from Textile’s documentation (opens new window)):
- Ensure data stored on Filecoin is available on the IPFS network easily.
- Handle long-term storage deal management, including automated renew and repair.
- Make use of network indices to improve miner selection and deal creation.
- Manage Filecoin wallet addresses for one or many users.
- Easily configure, connect, and deploy Powergate, Lotus (opens new window), and IPFS (opens new window) together.